Welcome Guest, please login or register.

Join the community at IndianTies forums! Visit the IndianTies Shop! All you wanted to know about yours truly... Who doesn't like free stuff? Some useful links and fun blogs! How to get in touch with me! Add IndianTies to your RSS reader!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Chai !  (Read 8155 times)
sonali

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2008, 06:04:29 PM »

We need a chai thread!  There's so many ways to make it and I'd like to see everyone else's methods.. that is, if you're willing to share your secret recipes Wink

The way I am making it now is the same way my friend's mom made it back in Delhi.  It's quite easy.  For one person:
Fill small saucepan with 1/2 mug water.  Throw in a pinch of fennel.  (no more than 10 seeds)
Bring water to boil.
Add 1 measuring teaspoon black tea leaves and 5-6 cardamom pods.
Turn heat to medium-high or medium and let steep 3-5 minutes.
Add 1/2 mug milk
Let steep an additional 2-3 minutes on medium-low. do not burn the tea!
Take off fire, strain and serve with Parle-G biscuits, nuts, or whatever your favorite tea snack is.  I take about a teaspoon of sugar, and prefer the Whole Foods vegan cane sugar for its taste.

I also sometimes make ginger tea (strong ginger negates need for sugar!) and at other times just use the tea masala I bought at FabIndia Smiley

Who else has a good recipe?
Djvjain

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 06:32:52 AM »

We make it Delhi style--or should I say, my didi's style: take 3 or four slices of ginger and pound them up in a mortar and pestle.  Boil water with tea and ginger and a generous amount of sugar (make the tea strong).  Add milk and simmer some more, then strain and serve.  I don't have exact amounts because we never measure it, just eyeball it.  We sometimes add black pepper in the winter too.  I have tried chai with all the other spices like cardamom or chai masala, but I like the ginger chai the best. 
mpathak

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 08:39:12 PM »

i'm so addicted to chai!
i've gotten lazy these days though and i just use the chai tea bags.  Tongue

i saw a recipe one time where someone used sweetened condensed milk in their chai somehow...
it sounds horribly unhealthy, but very yummy! i always wanted to try that!  Smiley
Naarita

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 02:20:03 PM »

Hey Djvjain, vinsin and I tried making the ginger tea recipe you posted!  Sooo yummy! Thank you for sharing it!!

paulineo
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 03:18:56 PM »

my in-laws think I am crazy because I don't like hot drinks at all , even in the winter. I am really into green tea but it has to be iced. I make a pitcher  every week and my dh drinks it occasionally.He only drinks coffee so I haven't made chai before.
Djvjain

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 07:14:00 AM »

Oh cool, I'm glad you liked it, Naarita!  We love that chai. 

When the weather gets cold and rainy we like to have chai and pakoras for dinner.  It's fun to make them together and eat them in the kitchen while they're still hot.
IndianTies
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 09:39:05 PM »

Oooh - pakoras sound good!  It would be fun to make them together.   I've never tried to make them - are they hard? 

As for chai, I love it, but rarely make it.  When my MIL comes for a visit we really enjoy how she makes it - when she's not here, we tend to go without!  Cheesy

**Edit - OK we're seriously addicted to chai now... I blame all of you!  But seriously we've been making chai like crazy lately...(and no, my MIL isn't here for a visit!)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 10:55:12 PM by IndianTies » Logged
Djvjain

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 06:46:43 AM »

Here is our pakora recipe.  Some people make pakoras that are like chopped mixed veggies, but we like to do them individually.  My favorites are onion, cauliflower, or mushrooms.  We make them together (my husband does the frying, since I'm afraid of hot oil) and hang out in the kitchen eating them while they're hot.  On a cold night, it's such a fun meal with chai.  I like doing this so much that for our wedding anniversary last year, we made these (with champagne instead of chai)!

Pakoras

2 cups besan
1 cup water
1/2 tsp coriander
1 tsp red chile
2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp khatai
2 tsp chaat masala
1 minced green chile
vegetables of your choice:
sliced onions
pieces of potato
pieces of green bell pepper
small mushrooms
squares of bread
paneer
etc.

Whisk the dry ingredients together and add the chile.  Add the water
and stir to make a batter.  Put vegetables into the batter and fry
over medium heat until golden brown and crispy.  Serve with ketchup or
spicy ketchup (like Maggi brand).
IndianTies
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 10:53:03 PM »

You guys inspired me so much that tonight we made pakoras (thanks for the recipe Djvjain!)  AND chai!  I called my MIL and got her recipe - similar to sonali's recipe except no fennel seeds - just cardamum pods and ginger.  It really hit the spot - especially with the colder weather that is already upon us!
Djvjain

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 06:35:59 AM »

Yay!!  How did they turn out?  We don't use an actual recipe when we make them, but recently we taught an Indian cooking class and that was one of the dishes we made, so we had to come up with a recipe.  I hope you liked them.
emm_and_emm
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 07:02:15 AM »

We're both chai buffs. Especially with ground cardamom or ginger. Favorite brand: Taj Mahal Tea. "Wah Taj boliye!"
Got chai?
ndeye

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 05:55:28 PM »

thanks to all for the delicious chai recipes--i've made it many times this winter, using several of the variations posted here.  all delicious!  i was home in the frozen northern midwest over Christmas and my chai making know-how made me quite popular with friends and family.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: