Welcome Guest, please login or register.

Join the community at IndianTies forums! Visit the IndianTies Shop! All you wanted to know about yours truly... Who doesn't like free stuff? Some useful links and fun blogs! How to get in touch with me! Add IndianTies to your RSS reader!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Indian Breakfasts  (Read 8015 times)
IndianTies
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: October 16, 2008, 03:02:45 PM »

So I don't make Indian food much for breakfast, but our favorite thing is "Indian Scrambled Eggs" (I have no idea if there's a real name for this dish)

Here's how we make them:

6 eggs, slightly beaten
1/4 cup of milk
1 medium onion, cut up
small amount of oil to fry the onion
1/2 tsp chili powder (depending on how spicy your chili powder is - you can add more)
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp coriander powder
2 small tomatoes, diced
1 green chili, cut in half
salt to taste

First, fry the diced onion until it is browned, add in all the other ingredients (except the eggs and milk) and fry for one to two minutes.  Finally, add the eggs and milk and cook until they are done. 

Serve with warm chapattis (we cheat and use tortillas) and mango pickle!
Djvjain

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 06:30:20 AM »

We like those eggs too.  When it comes to Indian breakfast the thing I make most is poha (beaten rice).  I use the thin kind. 

Saute some raw peanuts and mustard seeds in a couple tablespoons of oil.  Add a chopped onion and saute until translucent, then add one or two minced green chiles. 

Meanwhile, in a large bowl, pour in a bunch of poha (maybe 4 cups?  I don't measure) and then a teaspoon or so of haldi.  Moisten this with enough water and stir so that it becomes damp all over but not dripping wet. 

Add the poha to the skillet and stir.  Add salt, red chile powder, lime juice, and chopped cilantro to taste.  Serve hot.  I also like to put a tiny bit of sugar on mine for serving but my husband likes his without sugar.
mpathak

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 05:17:48 PM »

my husband makes that egg thing! yum! he calls it bhoorji i think...  Smiley
emm_and_emm
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 07:03:27 AM »

Anda bhurji! Mmmmmm....
Djvjain

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 08:33:24 AM »

Oh yeah, my husband loves anda bhuji too...lots of green chile, lots of chaat masala, and lots of toast to go with.

I'm so looking forward to breakfast in India this trip!  The fresh buffalo milk, homemade yogurt, etc.  It's so yummy!  Well, on the last trip there I spent half the time thinking that each meal was the best I'd ever had, so I'm sure not just breakfast will be yummy! Smiley
sonali

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 10:34:26 PM »

Favorite breakfast *in* India : Parathas and sabzi or chana ..... the thick, oily parathas, not those thin, flimsy ones... nothing like it (especially if you need to gain about 5 kgs)

Here I have learned something a bit healthier and so simple.
Pressure cook black-eyed peas with some salt and 2 potatoes (cut into smallish pieces - not too small though) until soft.
When done, add muri (puffed rice like rice krispies)
Mash the potato into the mixture and eat with your hands.  Yummy and healthy.
IndianTies
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 11:27:03 AM »

Sonali - Thanks for the tip - I'll have to try that.  It sounds yummie!
sonali

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 04:44:09 PM »

Masala Omelettes

This was the first "indian breakfast" I ever learned, thanks to some Gujarati friends of mine.
You will need a narrow, rigid spatula for this - the wooden ones are great.  You can do it with a larger turner but will probably have to fold your omelette in half.

2 eggs
1 tbsp minced onion
1/2 spoon* haldi (turmeric)
1/2 spoon jeera (cumin)
1/2 spoon red chili powder
1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
1 spoon minced green chiles
Olive oil

*spoon refers to the tiny spoon that goes with a masala dabba.  A little goes a long way!

Heat a small amount of olive oil in small skillet or omelette pan. 
Break eggs into bowl and add haldi, jeera, chili powder, ginger garlic paste and beat.
When oil is hot, add onions and fry.
Add beaten eggs to skillet - try to cover the entire bottom of the pan.
Sprinkle chiles on top.
Cook on medium-high to high heat, depending on your stove.
When about half cooked and the edges begin to get crispy, gently pull the omelette away from the sides all around the skillet with the spatula.  Very carefully, put the spatula under the omelette at the center and flip the WHOLE THING OVER.  It's an art! (I can do this about 25% of the time. If I'm lucky.)
Cook for another minute or so until omelette is your preferred level of golden-ness.

If the flipping doesn't work, fold the omelette in half as if you were a French chef.

If you really mess it up, as I often do, scramble it and make masala scrambled eggs as in the first post.  It tastes just as good.

Eat with lightly toasted wheat bread.
emm_and_emm
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 07:44:30 AM »

We tried this for breakfast last weekend...tasted GOOOD! I'd say the green chillies are the secret ingredient in any Indian omelette.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: