Our oldest daughter is learning some simple Indian dishes! Over the summer she decided to cook Kerala-style fish curry for us. This easy dairy free recipe was simple and a great starter recipe for anyone learning to cook Indian food. We all gave it a 5 star rating!
Our IndianTies Mystery Letters monthly subscription for kids focused on Kerala in the month of July - Ravi, our virtual penpal, and his family experienced a houseboat cruise on the backwaters of Kerala. In the story, Ravi and his family get to fish (and even though there are some kerfuffles, their personal chef makes them Kerala style fish curry!
Not only does this recipe feature fish, but also coconut which gives it an amazing flavor, when blended with the spices.
Easy Coconut Fish Curry Recipe:
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 onion (finely diced)
- 1.5 Tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 10 - 15 fresh curry leaves (dried works too!)
- 1 (13 oz) can full fat coconut milk
- 2 medium tomatoes (diced chopped)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1.5 pounds of firm white fish (cut into 1” pieces)
- 1 bunch chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 lime (juiced)
- Melt coconut oil in a skillet.
- Sauté onion until translucent and starting to brown. Add salt.
- Add ginger-garlic paste, stir for about 30 seconds.
- Add in chopped tomatoes, cook a few minutes until soft.
- Stir in curry powder, turmeric, and curry leaves, cook for 1 more minute.
- Slowly pour in coconut milk, bring to a gentle simmer.
- Add fish, gently poach for 6 - 8 minutes until cooked. (Avoid stirring to keep the fish from falling apart)
- Stir in cilantro and lime juice. Serve over rice & enjoy!